July 19, 2023 | 1:15 PM – 2:30 PM (ET)
UN Headquarters, Conference Room A
405 E 42nd St,
New York, NY 10017
The Government of Chile and the International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED), in collaboration with the Pathfinders for Peaceful, Just and Inclusive Societies, NYU Center on International Cooperation, the Habitat International Coalition (HIC), and United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG), are pleased to host the UN High-Level Political Forum 2023 side event: Housing and equitable cities: Bolstering local action for the implementation of SDG11.
Globally, 1.8 billion people lack access to adequate housing. This crisis requires addressing the structural inequalities that maintain it. Adequate housing is crucial to allowing progress on most SDGs. Actions across all levels of government are needed to reverse the stagnation in progress towards SDG11.
This in-person HLPF side event will outline practices that are advancing access to adequate housing in ways that challenge inequalities. It will discuss experiences emphasizing coordinated work between national governments, local governments and civil society for achieving SDG11.
- H.E. Carla Serazzi, Ambassador and Director of Multilateral Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Chile
- H.E. Paula Poblete Maureira, Deputy Minister, Ministry of Social Development, Chile
- Camila Cociña, IIED Researcher on Housing Justice
- Leanne Holt, Senior Director for Strategic Initiatives of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities
- Sarah Cliffe, Executive Director, NYU Center on International Cooperation
- Adriana Allen, President of Habitat International Coalition (HIC)